Holy Cross: Vision, Value, and Mission
As of 7/18/2014
“The church is the only society in the world that exists for the benefit of those who are not yet its members.”
William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury
The Church exists for nothing else but to draw people into Christ, to make them little Christs. If they are not doing that, all the cathedrals, clergy, missions, sermons, even the Bible itself, are simply a waste of time. God became Man for no other purpose. – C.S. Lewis
“Lord Jesus Christ, you stretched out your arms of love on the hard wood of the cross that everyone might come within the reach of your saving embrace: So clothe us in your Spirit that we, reaching forth our hands in love, may bring those who do not know you to the knowledge and love of you; for the honor of your Name. Amen.” – BCP, p. 101
Our Vision: That one day everyone in our community will worship God.
Our Value: We value each person as worthy of having a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Our Motive: Love
- God Is Love (1 John 4:8)
- John 3:16, “For God so Loved The World….”
- The Great Commandment: (Mark 12:30-31), 30and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:14, 14For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
Our Method: Personal Relationships
- The Ministry of Reconciliation: (2 Corinthians 5:18-21), 18All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beseech you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Our Mission: Make Disciples
- The Great Commission: (Matthew 28:18-20), 18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
- Mission Statement:
We are committed to establishing personal relationships with each other and as many other people as we can; treating all with the respect and love God has shown us; believing each person is worthy of having a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Through Worship, Study, Prayer, Fellowship, and Service we hope to bring each other closer to God, attract other people to God; connect all of us to Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit; and train, equip, and encourage everyone in their own God-given ministries as Ambassadors of Christ.
Our Slogan: “Building Bridges Between Us, and to God”